In Keeping Of Tradition

I am blogging right now in honor of my time-kept tradition of posting during a rainstorm. My day has been relaxing so far. I’ve read approximately forty pages of The Brothers Karamazov, have been working on (in the words of my advisor)  “jazzing up” my resume, gone for a nice walk (well timed before the rain came in), had my daily cup of tea, read several pages of this book, and practiced some piano. Let me repeat myself, today has been a relaxing day, which is a good thing, considering how chaotic my weekend was.

Yesterday, I mentioned something along these lines and wrote that I would more thoroughly write about my chaotic weekend at another time. Seeing as today is a brand new day as well as another time, I don’t see any reason why I should put off this post any longer.

Saturday was my mother’s birthday and, joy of all joys, her god daughter’s baby, Thomas Augustine, was born at 7:05am at 8lbs. 10oz.! My mother was more than happy to share her birthday with this little one. We went over after lunch to visit both mother and son. Little Thomas Augustine is adorable.

Shortly after arriving home, I began to cook for I was to have three girls from my alma mater over for dinner. I went (to put it modestly) all out. Here was the menu:


  • Coca Cola (the kind that comes in glass bottles)
  • Lemonade

Main Course:

  • Homemade lasagna
  • Salad w/cucumbers, tomatoes, and carrots.
  • Garlic bread.

Dessert: Ice Cream Sundae bar consisting of:

  • French vanilla ice cream
  • Homemade whipped cream (it was cheaper than the canned stuff)
  • Chocolate syrup
  • Caramel topping
  • Crushed Heath bars
  • Crushed Oreo cookies
  • M&Ms
  • Sprinkles
  • Peanuts
  • Marachino cherries
  • Fresh strawberries

We had so much fun playing games, laughing, talking, etc! 🙂

That was Saturday.

I woke up at 7:30 on Sunday morning and drove over to the Good Shepherd Catholic Church to collect petitions to put the Human Rights Amendment on the ballot. I was there from 8:30am-1:35pm. I came home exhausted and sunburned, but ready to go to Mass. My family goes to the Latin Mass at Our Lady of the Rosary every second Sunday of the month at 4:00pm. It’s beautiful and definitely my favorite Mass and the most beautiful church in San Diego. After Mass, we went to In’n’Out for dinner. By this time, I was completely and utterly exhausted. When we got home, we went for a walk (which felt good as I hadn’t had an opportunity to exercise all weekend). Afterwards, I proceeded to take a shower and watch a couple episodes of Father Knows Best. Then I went to bed.

That is the very thorough post on my very busy weekend. Can you see why I tried to take it easy today.

(And now the sun is out.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s